There are times when you may need to add a quick signature to a PDF file. Instead of printing the PDF, signing it with a pen, and scanning the page back to PDF, you can simply add an electronic signature straight from Revu.
There are two ways to create an electronic signature: by creating a transparent image of your signature or by using the Pen tool.
Using an image of your signature
The following steps walk you through adding an image of your signature to a PDF and making the image transparent so the image doesn’t interfere with any information behind it.
- Scan an image of your signature. You must use an image file (like .jpg or png), not a PDF.
- Go to Tools > Markup > Image > From File , select the image of your signature, and add it to the PDF. (Don’t worry about size yet.)
- Click on Crop in the Properties toolbar to remove the unwanted parts of the image. Use this tool to draw a rectangle around the part of the image that you want to keep.
- Now resize the image and move it to where you want it. The background will still be opaque, which means the image will block everything behind it. To make the background transparent, use Mask Color.
- Select the image, click the Mask Color box in the Properties panel, and then select white as your color. Parts of the background will still be solid.
Mask Color can also be accessed via the Dynamic Properties bar. Mask: will appear when you have an image selected.
- Increase the ± tolerance next to Mask Color so colors close to white will also become transparent. You may need to increase it to 20. Now the whole background should be transparent.
- Right-click on the image, click Add to Tool Chest > My Tools.
Before you send your PDF, don’t forget to Flatten the image:
- Right-click on the image and then click Flatten.
Using the Pen tool
Another way to create an electronic signature is using the Pen tool . Since it’s difficult to write legibly with a mouse, having access to a tablet PC or a pen input device, like a pen tablet, will make creating your signature simpler. Once you’ve completed your signature, save it to the Tool Chest using the steps above, and you’ll have it saved for later use.
Customizing Tablet Preferences – How to adjust Revu’s functionality in Tablet Mode.
Tablet PC Features – Everything you can do in Revu with a tablet PC.