The Alt, Shift and Ctrl keys aren’t limited to keyboard shortcuts. They can also be used to modify the way your mouse interacts with Revu, improving the speed and efficiency of your workflows. Each key will activate a different function based on the context they are used in.
- Ctrl can be used to override Snap To settings while creating or editing a markup, allowing you to place the point anywhere.
- Ctrl also toggles the mouse wheel between zoom and pan. For more information, read Configuring the Mouse Wheel.
- Hold down the Spacebar to pan in the document without interrupting the markup you’re creating or editing. Release the Spacebar to return to your markup.
Control Points in Polyline or Polygon Markups
- Add new line segments to a polygon or polyline markup (such as the Cloud , Polygon , Polyline , Perimeter or Area tools) by creating new control points. Hold Shift and click on a line segment to add a control point.
- Delete a control point in a polygon or polyline markup by holding Shift and clicking on a yellow control point.
- Press Ctrl while clicking on a control point on a polyline to convert it from straight to curved (or vice versa). (This is a shortcut to Convert Control Point or right-click > Control Point > Convert .) Press Ctrl and click on a control point at the same time to create a smooth curve. The control points of a curved point will move together in a line. Ctrl+click on a handlebar’s control point to move it independently and create curved segments.
Learn more about arcs and curves here.
- Hold down the Shift key while creating an Arc to create a circular-based arc.
- To create an Arc from three points, hold down Alt and select the desired points.
- Shift will also break the aspect ratio of polyline- and polygon-based markups when you’re moving the corner control point. It also breaks the aspect ratio of Image markups, whether you’re creating or editing these markups.
Markups will snap to 15-degree increments when rotated using the top control point. Hold Shift while rotating a markup to release that snap and allow rotations in one-degree increments.
Copy and Paste Markups
- Ctrl+click and drag a markup to copy it.
- Ctrl+Shift-click a markup to copy it and move the copy in a straight line.
- After using Ctrl+C to copy a markup, you can press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste that markup in the same position as the original. For example, if you need to cloud a room that appears on multiple pages, you can use this modifier to quickly create one on each page without clicking on the Cloud button each time.
Drawing Straight Lines
- Press Shift while dragging a markup to move it in a straight line horizontally or vertically.
- Hold Shift while using Line , Arrow , Polyline , Polygon or Measurement markups to draw a straight horizontal, vertical or 45-degree line.
- Hold Shift while using Polyline Sketch to Scale or Polygon Sketch to Scale to snap to 45-degree increments.
- Hold Shift while using Pen or Highlight tools to draw straight lines horizontally or vertically.
The Highlighter will act as an I-beam cursor so long as the Enable Text Highlighting setting is checked (Preferences > Tablet). To override this setting and draw freely, hold Ctrl as you use the tool.
Drawing Circles and Squares
- Hold down Shift while using the Ellipse tool to force the markup to create a circle. (Additionally, holding down Shift while clicking on a square control point on an ellipse will allow you to change it to a circle and resize it from the center outwards).
- If you are using the Rectangle tool, hold down Shift to create a square.
- If you need to draw circles from the center outward, simply hold down Alt before drawing with the Ellipse tool. This will be useful if you need to draw a circle based on a known radius.
The Callout tool has many control points that allow you to move each of its parts individually. To move the markup as a whole, simply hold down Alt as you click and drag it.
You can also Add Leader lines in a Callout by holding down Shift while clicking the control point in the bend of the existing leader. Using Shift and clicking the control point of the leader’s point will Delete Leader .
Moving Measurement Captions
Hold Shift while clicking on the caption of a Measurement markup to move it separately from the markup.
File Access and Hyperlinks
Ctrl+click a hyperlink or PDF in the File Access tab to open it as a new tab in the background (i.e. the file or link will not become your active tab or window). Use this if you want to open something to look at later.
Selecting Multiple Markups
Shift+Click on each of the markups. This method may be used as an alternative to clicking and dragging a rectangle around the markups .