Using an older version of Revu?
Sometimes, you may need to add a quick signature to a PDF. Instead of printing the document, signing it with a pen, and scanning the page back to PDF, you can simply add an electronic signature directly in Revu.
You can create an electronic signature by adding an image of your signature with a transparent background or by using the Pen tool.
Add an image of your signature
The following steps walk you through adding an image of your signature to a PDF and making the image transparent, so the image doesn’t interfere with any information behind it.
- Scan an image of your signature or email one to yourself via your mobile device.
Don’t scan a signature as a PDF. Only image files (.jpg or .png) will work for this process.
- Go to Tools > Markup > Image > From File and select the image of your signature from the File Explorer.
- Click-and-drag your signature to the document.
- Select Crop from the Properties toolbar. To remove any excess space, click-and-drag around the image.
- Resize the image and place it as needed on the document. The background will still be opaque, which means the image will block everything behind it.
- To make the image background transparent, go to the Properties panel and click the Mask Color icon. Select white from the color menu.
Mask can also be accessed from the Properties toolbar next to the Crop icon when an image is selected.
- Increase the ± tolerance next to Mask Color, so colors close to white will also become transparent. Increase the tolerance until the whole background is transparent.
- Next, add your signature to the Tool Chest, so you can use it again:
- Right-click the image and select Add to Tool Chest > My Tools.
- Before you save and send your PDF, flatten the image markup:
- Right-click the image and select Flatten.
Use the Pen tool
Another way to create an electronic signature is by using the Pen tool. Since it’s difficult to write legibly with a mouse, having access to a tablet PC or a pen input device will make creating your signature simpler. Once you’ve completed your signature, use the steps above to save it to the Tool Chest, so you can access it for later use.