The Callout tool places a leader line connected to a text box in a selected location. The text box and arrows are moved independently. Drag the text box or arrow to a new location and the leader line will stretch so they continue to be connected.
- Select the Callout tool using one of the following methods:
- Go to Tools > Markup > Callout.
- Click on the
- Press Q on the keyboard.
- Click to set the location of the arrow at the end of the leader line.
- Click to set the location of the text box. The leader line will automatically connect to the callout box, which will be ready to accept text.
- Enter the desired text.
- If desired, press ALT+Z to autosize the text box to fit the text.
- Click away from the text box or press ESC to finish.
Select a markup to reveal its control handles. Each handle controls a different aspect of the markup's size and orientation.
To rotate the markup, click and drag the orange handle. By default, the markup is rotated in increments of 1°; to rotate in increments of 15°, hold down CTRL while dragging.
To resize the markup, click and drag the appropriate yellow handle.
To move only the text box, click inside the text box and drag it to the desired location. Alternatively, click and drag the leader line (not its handles).
The arrow will remain where it is and the leader will automatically adjust to text box's new location.
To autosize the text box so that it fits the text,
To move only the leader arrow, click and drag the arrow's yellow control handle to a new location. The text box will remain in the same location.
To move the entire markup together, hold down ALT while moving any part of the markup.
To move the leader origin from one side of the text box to the other, click and drag the leader line's bend (or "knee") control handle to the desired side.
See the examples below.
Similarly the leader origin can be moved to the top or bottom of the callout.
See Editing Markups for more information.
Callouts can have multiple leader lines. To add one or more leader lines to a callout:
- Right-click the callout and select Add Leader.
- Alternatively, hold down the SHIFT key and click the yellow handle at the bend (or "knee") of the leader line.
- Click to set the location of the arrow of the new leader line.
There are two ways to remove a leader line:
- Right-click on the desired leader and select Delete Leader.
- Hold down the SHIFT key and click the control point at the end of the arrow.
You can add an action to nearly any markup. Simply right-click the markup and select Edit Action to open the Action dialog box.
The appearance of the text, text box, and leader lines of a Callout markup are all configurable.
The entire contents of a callout text box can be selected by clicking the text box. Once it has been selected, changing any of the font formatting options will apply to all text within the box.
To select particular words in a callout text box, click the box to make it active, then click and drag over the desired text. Any formatting you change in the Properties tab will only affect the selected text.
To edit the appearance of a Callout markup, select it and click the Properties panel.
The Appearance section of the Properties panel contains the following options:
Color: Sets the color of the text box and leader line, if any.
Fill Color: Controls the fill color of the text box.
Opacity: Sets transparency level for the text box and the leader line.
Fill Opacity: Sets transparency level (100 = opaque, 0 = completely transparent) for the fill color.
Line Width: Sets the thickness of the line segment in points. If the Line Width is set to 0, it is effectively invisible.
Style: Determines the pattern of the line segment. The Cloud style only affect the text box; the leader line (when applicable) will be solid. Any styles other than Cloud will affect both the text box and the leader line.
Size: Sets the width of the cloud segments. Only applies when Style is set to Cloud.
Invert: Inverts the cloud segments inward on the shape. Only applies when Style is set to Cloud.
Shape: Sets the shape of the text box.
End: Controls the appearance of the end point of the line.
- Click the first list to choose a different arrowhead or end type.
- Click the second list to choose the size of the line's end point (if any).
- Click the color button to change the color of a filled arrow, if applicable.
Font: Sets the font used for the selected text.
- The first region shows all fonts used in the currently selected text element.
- The second region lists the standard PDF fonts that are supported by all PDF viewers. These fonts do not need to be embedded in the PDF when used, thereby cutting down on file size.
- The third shows all other available fonts. When used, these fonts need to be embedded in the PDF.
Note: If you attempt to embed a font for which the viewing and editing permissions do not allow formatting, Revu will display a message indicating the font will not be embedded in the PDF.
Font parameters are retained in the PDF such that even if the original font is not embedded or on the viewer's workstation, a suitable representation of the font will be substituted.
Font Size: Sets the size of the font.
Auto: Automatically adjusts the font size of the text to the maximum value that will fit in the text box.
Line Space: Adjusts the spacing between multi-line rows of text.
Margin: Defines the amount of space between the text characters and the border of the Text Box.
Text Color: Sets the color of text.
Alignment: Defines the alignment of text within the box. The icons represent Left, Center, Right, Top Justified, Middle Justified and Bottom Justified respectively.
The Font Style settings control the formatting of the text. Options include Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikethrough, Superscript and Subscript. Generally, any combination of these styles can be applied to format the text.