The Dimension tool places a dimension (also known as a "leader line") markup on the PDF. While Dimension markups can represent measurements, they are not true measurement or takeoff tools; for those, see the Measure Tool.
- Select the Dimension tool using one of the following methods:
- Go to Tools > Markup > Dimension.
- Click on the
- Press SHIFT+L on the keyboard.
- Click on the PDF to place the start point and drag to the end point. Release to place the markup.
- Once released, the markup is automatically prepared to receive a caption. Enter a caption, if desired.
- Press ESC or click away from the markup to complete it.
- Drag left-to-right to display the dimension line above the points. Drag right-to-left to display the dimension line below the points.
- Hold down SHIFT to draw lines that are at horizontal, vertical, or 45° angles.
Select a markup to reveal its control handles. Each handle controls a different aspect of the markup's size and orientation.
To resize the markup or change its angle, click and drag the appropriate yellow handle. Hold down SHIFT while dragging to force the markup to a horizontal, vertical, or 45° angle.
To adjust the height of the markup, click and drag the middle (caption) control handle.
To move the entire markup together, click and drag a part of it other than the control handles.
To rotate the caption, click and drag the orange handle directly over it. By default, the markup is rotated in increments of 15°; to rotate in increments of 1°, hold down SHIFT while dragging.To return a rotated caption to its original position, right-click it and select Reset Caption Position.
See Editing Markups for more information.
The appearance of the Dimension markup is configurable, including its line and fill color, line width and style, opacity, and font characteristics for the caption.
To change the appearance of a Dimension markup, select it and click the Properties panel. Several properties will also be available on the Properties toolbar when the markup is selected.
Color: Sets the line color.
Fill Color: Controls the fill color of the endpoints.
Highlight: Makes the fill color and line transparent so underlying content shows through.
Opacity: Sets opacity level of the line and endpoints, from 0 (invisible) to 100 (opaque).
Line Width: Sets the line thickness in points. A setting of 0 effectively renders the line invisible.
Style: Determines the pattern of the line segment.
Show Caption: Select to include caption text on the markup. Click Edit to choose which measurements to include.
Each endpoint has an associated Scale that determines the size of the endpoint in relation to the Line Width. By default, it is set to Auto and will automatically adjust as the Line Width is changed.
Font: Sets the font used for the selected text.
Font Size: Sets the size of the font.
Text Color: Sets the color of text.
The Font Style