The Length measurement tool places specialized markups that calculate a single, linear measurement. Length measurements can be given depth or a slope.
As with any measurement, be sure to calibrate the document first.
Go to Tools > Measure > Length or press SHIFT+ALT+L.The Length measurement mode is engaged.
- Click the end points of the desired length.
- Hold down SHIFT to draw lines that are at horizontal, vertical, or 45° angles.
- Length measurement arrows will automatically position themselves inside the extension lines when there is enough room, otherwise they will automatically position themselves outside the extension lines.
- Click the markup so it is active. In the Measurements section on the Measurement panel, certain fields are available to add detail and dimension to the markup, including:
- Depth allows for additional calculations, such as wall area or material volume, on the Markups list. To set a depth for the markup, enter a value and select a unit of measure.
Select a markup to reveal its control handles. Each handle controls a different aspect of the markup's size and orientation.
To resize the markup or change its angle, click and drag the appropriate yellow handle. Hold down SHIFT while dragging to force the markup to a horizontal, vertical, or 45° angle.
To adjust the height of the markup, click and drag the middle (caption) control handle.
To move the entire markup together, click and drag a part of it other than the control handles.
To rotate the caption, click and drag the orange handle directly over it. By default, the markup is rotated in increments of 15°; to rotate in increments of 1°, hold down SHIFT while dragging.To return a rotated caption to its original position, right-click it and select Reset Caption Position.
See Editing Markups for more information.
The appearance of the Length measurement is configurable, including its line and fill color, line width and style, opacity, and font characteristics for the caption.
To change the appearance of a Length measurement, select it and click the Properties panel. Several properties will also be available on the Properties toolbar when the markup is selected.
Color: Sets the line color.
Fill Color: Controls the fill color of the endpoints.
Highlight: Makes the fill color and line transparent so underlying content shows through.
Opacity: Sets opacity level of the line and endpoints, from 0 (invisible) to 100 (opaque).
Line Width: Sets the line thickness in points. A setting of 0 effectively renders the line invisible.
Style: Determines the pattern of the line segment.
Show Caption: Select to include caption text on the markup. Click Edit to choose which measurements to include.
Each endpoint has an associated Scale that determines the size of the endpoint in relation to the Line Width. By default, it is set to Auto and will automatically adjust as the Line Width is changed.
Font: Sets the font used for the selected text.
Font Size: Sets the size of the font.
Text Color: Sets the color of text.
The Font Style