The Ellipse tool places an ellipse markup on the document. Holding down the SHIFT key will cause the ellipse markup to automatically form a circle. The use of the Ellipse tool is nearly identical to that of the Rectangle tool.
- Select the Ellipse tool using one of the following methods:
- Go to Tools > Markup > Ellipse.
- Click on the
- Press E on the keyboard.
- Click and drag to define the size of the ellipse.
- Alternatively, click two points to define the opposite corners of the shape.
- Hold down SHIFT while defining the shape to force the shape into a circle.
You can attach a note to nearly any markup that does not have a text box of its own. Simply double-click the markup to open the Note pop-up window. Notes attached to markups are functionally similar to the Note Tool.
Select a markup to reveal its control handles. Each handle controls a different aspect of the markup's size and orientation.
To rotate the markup, click and drag the orange handle outside the markup (when the markup is first placed, it will be at the top). By default, the markup is rotated in increments of 15°; to rotate in increments of 1°, hold down SHIFT while dragging.
The rotation can also be entered in the Rotation field found in the Layout section of the Properties panel.
To resize the markup, click and drag the appropriate yellow handle.
- Use the side control handles (yellow squares) to stretch or compress the markup in a single direction.
- Use the corner control handles (yellow circles) to scale the markup up or down in multiple directions.
- Hold down SHIFT while dragging a corner control handle to force the shape into a circle.
See Editing Markups for more information.
The appearance of the Ellipse markup is configurable, including its line and fill color, hatch pattern, line width and style, and opacity.
To change the appearance of an Ellipse markup, select it and click the Properties panel. Several properties will also be available on the Properties toolbar when the markup is selected.
Color: Sets the line color.
Fill Color: Sets a fill color.
Highlight: Makes the fill color and/or hatch pattern transparent so underlying content shows through.
Opacity: Sets opacity level of the line and endpoints, from 0 (invisible) to 100 (opaque).
Fill Opacity: Sets the fill opacity, from 0 (invisible) to 100 (opaque).
Line Width: Sets the line thickness in points. A setting of 0 effectively renders the line invisible.
Style: Determines the line pattern.