The Polygon tool creates a shape with any number of sides as a markup. Unlike a polyline markup, polygons are closed shapes and, thus, can be filled.
- Select the Polygon tool using one of the following methods:
- Go to Tools > Markup > Polygon.
- Click on the
- Press SHIFT+P on the keyboard.
- Click on each point of the desired shape.
- To remove the last point placed, press BACKSPACE.
To close the polygon, do one of the following:
- Click the first point again to close the shape.
- Double-click when placing the last point to automatically close the shape by connecting the last point placed to the first point placed.
- Hold down SHIFT to draw lines that are at horizontal, vertical, or 45° angles.
- Click and drag to place a rectangular shape.
- Holding down SHIFT while doing so will force the rectangle into a square.
A control point defines where two line segments meet in multi-segment markups. Control points can be added or removed from these markups.
Further, the line segments of these markups can be converted to curves or arcs at their control points, allowing them to conform to nearly any shape.
You can attach a note to nearly any markup that does not have a text box of its own. Simply double-click the markup to open the Note pop-up window. Notes attached to markups are functionally similar to the Note Tool.
Select a markup to reveal its control handles. Each handle controls a different aspect of the markup's size and orientation.
To rotate the markup, click and drag the orange handle outside the markup (when the markup is first placed, it will be at the top). By default, the markup is rotated in increments of 15°; to rotate in increments of 1°, hold down SHIFT while dragging.
The rotation can also be entered in the Rotation field found in the Layout section of the Properties panel.
To resize a segment or change its angle, click and drag the appropriate yellow handle.
To scale the markup up or down, click and drag the appropriate purple handle.
See Editing Markups for more information.
The appearance of the Polygon markup is configurable, including line and fill color, hatch pattern, line width and style, and opacity.
To change the appearance of a Polygon markup, select it and click the Properties panel. Several properties will also be available on the Properties toolbar when the markup is selected.
Color: Sets the line color.
Fill Color: Sets a fill color.
Highlight: Makes the fill color and/or hatch pattern transparent so underlying content shows through.
Opacity: Sets opacity level of the line and endpoints, from 0 (invisible) to 100 (opaque).
Fill Opacity: Sets the fill opacity, from 0 (invisible) to 100 (opaque).
Line Width: Sets the line thickness in points. A setting of 0 effectively renders the line invisible.
Style: Determines the line pattern.